On May 29, the High Advisory Team with the presence of representatives of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), Iraqi Government and the United Nations held its seventh meeting in Baghdad.
The Advisory Team commended the good coordination and cooperation between the partners to respond to the issue of Internally Displaced People (IDPs) and delivering humanitarian assistance to the civilians fleeing the conflict areas in Mosul.
The Meeting discussed the current key issues surrounding Mosul humanitarian preparedness, response and stabilization in the Ninewa plane. The meeting concludes with several recommendations that were submitted to the Iraqi Prime Minister for approval and then be implemented by the government and non-government partners.
Upon the recommendations made by the KRG’s Minister of Interior, on June 1, the Iraqi PM approved several recommendations, including:
· Facilitate the return of IDPs to the liberated areas in coordination with the KRG’s Ministry of Interior.
· Ministry of Displacement and Migration to distribute summer humanitarian kits.
· Provision of electricity for the IDP camps in Nineveh province.
· Provision of ambulances for the camps for permanent use.
· A water well for Arbat camp in Slemani.
· Establishing a joint committee between the MoDM and Ministry of Interior.
· Approving the allocation of 3 billion IQD remained from construction of Surdash camp in Slemani to build a pilot power-station with the capacity of 25 megawatt for the camp. Buy and provide the Directorate of Roads and Bridges in Slemani with 800 tons of asphalt to renovate the roads inside the camps and main roads connected to the camps.
The High Advisory Team consisted of Mr. Karim Sinjari, KRG’s Ministry of Interior, Mr. Jasim Mohammed, Iraqi Minister of Migration and Displacement, Mr. Mahdi al-Halaq, the General Secretary of the Council of Ministers, M.s Lise Grande, UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq and Mr. Nawfal Hamadi, Governor of Nineveh. Other related institutions participated in the meeting such as; Hoshang Mohamed, Director General of the Joint Crisis Coordination Centre (JCC), the Iraqi Army’s CIMIC Unit, the representative of the Iraqi Ministry of Defense, head of the Joint Coordination and Monitoring Center and the UN Office for Humanitarian Coordination in Iraq.