November 3, 2016, Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq
The KRG Ministry of Interior hosted the second meeting of the High Advisory Team in Erbil. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the Mosul Military Operation and humanitarian consequences including preparedness, response, resource mobilization and the stabilization and return process. The advisory team discussed in details all aspects of the humanitarian consequences and the ways and mechanisms to improve better coordination, preparedness and response to the influx of IDPs as the fighting forces are advancing towards the populated areas and entering the city.
All participants emphasized the importance of well- coordinated and concerted efforts among all partners including KRG, GoI and UN agencies as well as International and local NGOs to ensure a timely and effective provision of the lifesaving assistance to the IDPs in the frontlines and camps.
The meeting concluded with several recommendations and actions to improve and address the current gaps and challenges:
- Preparation of a detailed report on the liberated areas for IEDs clearance and restoration of services.
- Ministry of Trade to provide food ration to the families stayed in the liberated areas as soon as possible on a regular basis.
- Operation budget which was recommended in the first meeting was approved by Iraq PM and an estimated budget line to be prepared by JCC and be sent to Baghdad.
- UN response should be expedited and coordinate with the government departments to ensure timely response to the IDPs, especially at the frontlines and liberated areas.
- Joint Working Group (KRG, GoI and UNHCT) should be activated to ensure close cooperation and coordination of the preparedness, resource mobilization and response.
The meeting attended by H.E Karim Sinjari, Minister of Interior of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) H.E. Dr. Jasim Mohamed, Iraqi Minister of Migration and Displacement, H.E. Dr. Mahdi al-Alaq, Head of General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers at the Iraqi government, Dr. Altaf Musani, Head of WHO and Representative of the Humanitarian Coordinator, Mr. Nofel Hammadi, Mosul Governor, Mr. Hoshang Mohamed, Director General of the Joint Crisis Coordination Centre (JCC), Mr. Ivo Freijsen, Head of the United Nation OCHA as well as and representatives from other KRG and Iraqi government entities.